Two Practicums are included in each area of specialty offered in the MSN degree. To prepare for the Practicum, students must read and access the information contained the Practicum Packet in the year prior to the anticipated start date of the Practicum. The Practicum Packet information must be submitted beginning 6 months (24 weeks) prior to the start of the Practicum for which students wish to register. To be permitted to register for the first Practicum, students must meet specific requirements. Health and criminal background clearance and all other requirements outlined in the Practicum Packet must be submitted three months (12 weeks) prior to the start of the first Practicum course.
The MSN e-Portfolio, which is initiated in the first graduate course, and should be updated with appropriate course assignments and materials as students progress through each graduate course, must be updated prior to the start of the Practicum.
In the last Practicum of each specialty students will submit a formal MSN Program Synthesis Paper that documents achievement of both the MSN degree outcomes and the competencies in the selected area of specialty.
All students should review the Policy for Criminal Background Screening and Submission of Professional Liability Insurance for Master of Science in Nursing Students and the Policy for Health Requirements for Students Enrolling in Practicum Courses. The policies may be accessed here:
Dates for submission of the forms in the Practicum Packet for are provided in the chart below. Form A is due 24 weeks in advance of the term that students intend to take the Practicum course. Form B is due with the remainder of the packet twelve weeks in advance of the term students intend to take the Practicum.
|Intend to take the Practicum in||Submit Form A by||Submit Form B by||Entire packet is due by|
|July||January 1||April 1||April 1|
|October||April 1||July 1||July 1|
|January||July 1||October 1||October 1|
|April||October 1||January 1||January 1|
In addition, all graduate students are required to complete a background check prior to their first scheduled Practicum. Failure to submit a background check by the requested due date may cause a student to be ineligible for the Practicum. The background check report will be completed by a vendor selected by the School of Nursing. Students will be required to provide identifying information as well as a payment source. Students will be directed through the website and results will be returned to the student as well as the Thomas Edison State College School of Nursing. Since this is a crucial component of each student's clinical rotation, students should access the web site and complete the request for background check according to the Practicum Packet checklist.
Please follow the directions and submit all requested forms and documents in the time frame requested.
If there are any questions about the background check or the Practicum Packet, contact us by email.
Step 3: MSN Health and Immunization Compliance
In addition, all graduate students are required to create an Immunization Tracking System (ITS) Account:
- Go to TESC Tracking System website, which is located at www.tescnursingbackground.com
- Create an account by clicking the “Online Registration” button and filling out all the necessary information.
- Process the payment by submitting Payment information (Credit/Debit/Gift Cards accepted from Vis, MasterCard, Discover or AMEX).
- Begin entering your immunization record information based on the checklist below, and the official documentation.
- Once completed, be sure to submit copies of the documentation to American DataBank (by uploading them or via fax).
A visit to a healthcare provider is needed to complete the forms required for verification of students health status and immunization records.
These records are required by the Practicum agency, and are not negotiable. Failure to submit documents that allow students health status and immunization status to be verified will impact students ability to progress in the program. Accurate, timely, and correct information is expected in the submission of all documents.
- Physical Exam & Health History form (please see website: www.tescnursingbackground.com for the following forms, ""Physical Examination and Health History Form", "Certification by Healthcare Provider" and "Health, Immunization, and Criminal Background Compliance form".
- The following are the required records included on this form:
- Hepatitis B
- Health Insurance
- Malpractice Insurance
- 10 Panel Drug Screen (Only if requested by the Practicum site)
These documents are due twelve (12) weeks in advance of the term students intend to take the Practicum.